Sunday, October 26, 2008

Where the lava enters the sea.


Where the lava enters the sea., originally uploaded by jfinnan.

This is as close as I could get. You can get closer, but you would have to drive about two more hours from this point, and it would have made a very late night for me. Park Rangers mentioned that the Kilauea Crater vent was more impressive right now, as it is difficult to actually view the lava flows unless you go on a helicopter or boat tour. Besides, this plume has high levels of both sulfer dioxide and hydrochloric acid. There were warnings to get out of the area immediately if the wind carried the toxic cloud near where you were hiking. How Fun. My eyes starting burning a bit while I was there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you say this island is inhabited? I would have been gone a long time ago. No burning eyes and toxic fumes for me.

holman family said...

NOTICE: if you begin to experience any or part of your flesh melting away, please leave immediately.

Blog Archive