So, I am pumping air into the bike tires when a kid comes running up to me. He tells me there is a spider walking into our campsite. I am thinking..."yeah, ok, whatever, I will go over there when I am done, step on it, and be the hero of the day for my family." Well suddenly, we have people from all over the campground congregating by my truck. I now figure I better go over there and see what the fuss is about. You can see from the picture that this is not the kind of spider you just step on! Yep.... It is a type of tarantula, and the Ranger I talked to said it is mating season, and the spider was probably looking for love. It was really cool to see one of these out in the wild. In my forty years of life, I have only seen these in nature displays or captivity. In the end I was the hero, as a neighboring camper helped me capture it in a container I had, and we deposited it far away from the campground. Sorry for the poor photo. Since I do not have a laptop with me, my only means to upload photos is with my phone. Unfortunately I did not take a picture with the phone, so i had to take a picture of the review display of my main camera. I will post a better pic when I have access to a computer again.
- Taken at 7:22 AM on August 01, 2008 - cameraphone upload by ShoZu
Friday, August 1, 2008
Spiders in Zion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yuck! I think I would have had Dad step on it for sure. I have never seen one in my -- years either. Hope I never do.
Post a Comment